Thursday, July 28, 2011

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig.

Did your parents say this phrase when you were little? Every time we pulled into our driveway, my Mom would exclaim in her happiest voice, "Home again, home again, jiggity jig!" I loved that.

I don't know if it was hearing that so many times as a child or if it's just my personality, but as an adult there really is nowhere I'd rather be. Which means walking through the door on Wednesday nights is the best thing that happens to me all week long. Hugh is waiting to hug me and kiss me and carry my bags, Fletcher is losing his mind with Boxer joy, and Henry even comes out from his cave of a room and waits in the kitchen to be scooped up and snuggled.

We (and by we I mean I) are practicing our gratitude a whole lot as of late. When I first started this blog, it was based off of a Harper Lee quote from an interview she did, and the gist of it was sometimes inspiration comes in a white hot flash of brilliance, and other times, it is slower and quieter and you have to wait for it and work for it and look for it.

Our life here is nothing extraordinary - two people working hard to get it right, two sweet pets to keep us entertained, and a bunch of delicious dinners to tie it all together. But when I am deep in the midst of a completely ordinary day with my little family - when Hugh is settling in from work and Henry is sprawled across Hugh's shoulders and I am chopping onions and listening to hospital stories and Fletcher is sleeping right behind my feet so I can't move without alerting him - I can look around and feel that my heart will just burst from gratitude.

A house to take care of, food in the kitchen, a garden in the yard, a healthy body that can play Frisbee with a dog and stir dinner on the stove, warm furry children that wait to hear your key in the door and curl right up beside you on the couch, and a bff husband who makes you laugh at least twice an hour? It's the everyday, slow-burn flash of inspiration, and all I can think is, this is it. This is exactly what I always wanted. Jiggity jig, indeed.

With that sugary sweetness (What can I say? Thursdays make me feel all warm and fuzzy.), I'm off to drink another cup of coffee and walk the dog child and do some work. But, if the weather clears up, I intend to get out and take some photos for a fun little Things I love Thursday, so check back later. If it's not raining.

Thanks for tolerating my over-the-top love for this little family of mine. If you were here, I'd show my appreciation by making more coffee and cooking you some perfectly poached eggs.

1 comment: