Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Homemade Mayonnaise: A Vlog and a Recipe

Hi, sweet friends. Today is the premiere of our first ever White Hot Video Blog: Homemade Mayonnaise. The vlog is something we've been toying around with (i.e. Hugh has been telling me to just do it, and I have been hemming and hawing) for awhile now, and this weekend we decided to go for it.

Hugh and I had so much fun with this and I hope you will take a few minutes to check it out:






Please note: although this video is ten minutes long, it only takes about five minutes to make this mayo. The other five minutes are me chatting away with my imaginary audience. Can you tell I work at home alone all day? I just have so much I want to share with you. I might start setting up the video camera in my office so I have someone to talk to...

The recipe is below - amended slightly after I tasted it, made adjustments (more lemon juice), and measured exactly how much oil I used. This really is such an easy way to bring some wow to your meals. Also, an easy way to clog your arteries right up if you don't practice some restraint. But I know you are fantastic at practicing restraint.


Homemade Mayonnaise
makes approximately 3/4 cup

1 egg yolk, room temperature
2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 - 3/4 cup oil, 3 parts vegetable oil to 1 part extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl (glass, ceramic, or stainless steel), whisk egg yolk and mustard until completely combined and smooth.

Slowly add oil, a drop at a time, whisking constantly. Oil should be completely combined after each addition before more oil is added. As the mixture starts to come together, you can add a bit more oil each time, but it's imperative that the oil is mixed in after each addition. This will take about 3 - 4 minutes.

Once you get the consistency you're looking for (see: Vlog), stop adding oil. Remember, it's more important that you get the right consistency than it is that you use all of your oil.

Whisk in lemon juice until completely combined. Add salt; whisk to combine.

Taste. Add more salt if necessary.

Eat it up.


I hope you enjoyed this new series. If you like it, you could probably twist my arm to do another one. And by probably twist my arm I mean I already have a page-long list of other recipes and skills I'd love to show you.

Let me know what you think and thanks so much for watching!

3 comments:

  1. So fun! I mean, I kind of hate mayonnaise, but this makes me want to try making it! Chicken salad! Redipulous! Um, can't wait for ST. I might watch this a few more times and pretend we're having a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding me? You're almost famous. And not only did I enjoy it, but your nephew watched it twice. He is quite smitten with you. And he said, "Aunt Cassie making a sandwich with dat?" XO, Reese & his Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I've never tried to make mayo from scratch. I considered it for a second after reading about Julia Child's quest for the perfect mayo recipe. Your video might have me rethinking it.

    ReplyDelete