Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Spread a Little Love

Someone in the White Hot house is running late for Savannah this morning because she could have stopped at one less champagne cocktail last night. Hell's bells. But I wanted to stop in and tell you about the how we celebrated the day of love in our house.

Sometimes I can be so crafty.

I know most people think Valentine's day is a silly manufactured holiday. And, really, I don't disagree. But, on February 13, 2005, after four (very long, if you ask my husband) months of courtship on the part of a certain handsome classmate, I woke up at 7am to the realization that I was in love with Hugh.

Before that day, we'd spent many months as "just friends." You know, the kind of "friends" who talk on the phone for three hours each night and schedule their classes together and study together and go to dinner together and plan trips together. Which is to say we were basically dating for several months before I even realized it. Lucky for me, Hugh has the patience of a saint.

Anyway, after I was hit with the realization of my feelings, I decided not to tell Hugh about this change of heart. Or awakening of heart, if you will. We already had plans to go to dinner on Valentine's day (as "friends," of course), so when we were walking into the restaurant, I casually reached over and held Hugh's hand. I think he got the message. And the rest, as they say, is history.

All that sweetness to say, Valentine's day has a special little place in my heart. Plus, if we're being honest, you know I am a sucker for love and for celebrations. And, a day to celebrate love?! Sign me up.

After our first February 14th, we realized that dining out on the day when everyone else in America is also going out to dinner was generally a great way to spend a lot of money on mediocre food and bad service. So for the last six years, Hugh and I have alternated planning and cooking an indulgent dinner at home. This year it was my turn. Check back tomorrow for a food recap. I'll give you a hint, there were oysters and lobster and tiramisu.

In the end, it was another happy day with the loves of my life. Who wouldn't feel lucky to have these boys as her Valentines:






I hope your day was sweet and you didn't overdo it on the champagne...

Post Script: Do you want to see a photo of our first Valentine's day? Okay!

February 14, 2005

The palpable nervousness in this picture hurts my heart. I want to just reach out and hug those kids. Oh, and don't be jeal of my awesome hand placement.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you love Hugh, because if you didn't, you wouldn't have moved to the SAV, and we wouldn't have met, and you guys wouldn't have Fletcher. Then who would Mitch growl at?

    Oh, and you wouldn't have a Hugh and Hugh wouldn't have a you.

    Anyway, for both selfish and not so selfish reasons, I'm happy you had such an awakening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I probably took that photo. Sadly, I do not remember. For the record, the mirror is currently hanging in our dining room and the frame is on the shelf :)

    ReplyDelete