Friday, February 25, 2011

Meal Planning Friday. And the Best Kind of TGIF.

So, I was on a lunch date yesterday with my very favorite med school wife friend (I mean, not that I have three hundred med school wife friends, but if I did, she'd still be my favorite). There is something so lovely about someone who really does know just how you're feeling. Anyway, we were having a delightful time as we always do, chatting it up and eating tacos.

We've both been dealing with some life struggles lately, and I was saying how I know that hard times are character-building and make you better and stronger and teach you lessons and I keep trying to remind myself that.

And then she said, "Agreed. But sometimes don't you just want to say, 'Okay, I get it. I learned my lesson. I'm stronger and better. Now let's just get on with it?'"

Um, yes, yes I do. And that's why I love her.*

Anyway, that little diddy to say that we're just trucking right along around here. Blooming where we're planted and laughing at the pets and enjoying the weather and eating some pretty good food in the meantime. And, guess what! It's my favorite kind of Friday. You know...the kind where Hugh is taking a test right now, so I get him all to myself all weekend long. Hip hip hooray for post-test weekends!

This is what we've been eating lately:

Proscuitto, Bleu Cheese, Arugula, and Fig Jam (this came from the cheese section at Publix) Sandwiches on Sourdough - Freaking delicious. No recipe. Just buy the ingredients, put them on the bread, and eat it up. This would also be a great make-ahead picnic food, as the leftovers were still tasty the next morning after spending a night in the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap. I know, because I ate them at 8:30am on Saturday.

Fish Tacos, Refried Black Beans, Roasted Tomatillo Salsa (recipe forthcoming), and Blood Orange Margaritas. Happy faux-Spring:

Note: This photo is deceptive, as this is actually eight margaritas, not one giant one. Just didn't want you worrying I'd gone too far down the path of happy hour.

Refried Black Bean Burritos.

Five Guys. Don't judge. Actually, judge away. I don't care. I freaking love that place, even if I can't wear my wedding rings the next day.

Amazingly delicious pizza. I've already written up this recipe post for you, so when I say check back next week for it, I'm not even lying. This pizza is so good by the time I thought to take a photo, this is what it looked like:



Sesame Noodle Salad - Make this right now. It is flavorful and healthful and a great pack-and-go lunch option. I doubled the red bell pepper, added a little bit more cabbage, and added some Sriracha for a little heat. Also, I used spaghetti because I can never find Soba noodles at Publix. We ate it all in two days, and it makes a lot.

Slow-Cooker Curried Chicken with Ginger and Yogurt
- this was on the bland side. Bummer. It needed more salt and some heat (thai chiles, perhaps?). Probably won't be making it again.
Roasted Broccoli with Sesame and Soy Sauce - this was on the opposite of bland side. As in, Hugh and I ate almost two pounds of broccoli in one sitting. Probably will be making it again in the next two days. Check back next week for the deets.

Baked Pasta with Spinach, Lemon and Cheese - This was good and flavorful and there isn't really anything bad I can say about it. But it was just kind of eh. Hugh wasn't a fan for some reason, so we probably won't be repeating. Oh well. You win some, you loose some, right?


Okay, friends. I'm off to weekend it up with my hilarious husband and my furry children. It's raining right now, but this afternoon and the rest of the weekend look warm and sunny. Please do not tell my college-self that I check weather.com at least twice a day. She'll be so disappointed.

Happy relaxing to you and your cute little families!

*Another reason is because she's a total badass. Like, we were talking about the last time she was hiking the AT (that's Appalachian Trail for all you non-outdoorsy people out there**). And while she was hiking, a three hundred pound black bear was walking down the trail toward her and she had to distract him with food until he lumbered off into the woods. And then she went on her merry way, hiking along. I'm sorry, but seriously?! Don't be jeal, I'm just really good at picking friends who are really good at being awesome.

**I can totally relate, being a non-outdoorsy person myself. Hugh and I like to remember the time I pretended I was going to go camping with him when we first started dating. When I called my parents and told them our plans, they laughed and laughed.

After we moved to Savannah together, Hugh looked at me one day and said, "We're never going camping, are we?" No, my love, no we are not. Unless you consider an air-conditioned cabin "camping." But don't worry, I'll make up for it.

1 comment: