Friday, February 4, 2011

Happy Friday and Happy Eating

Y'all. As I might have mentioned earlier this week, and to Hugh about one million times, I'm so excited to see these faces TODAY! Last time Hugh and I saw them was for a brief six hours in Atlanta. You should click on that link and read about how we popped out from around the corner at Ikea and surprised Elizabeth on her birthday. Lofton was a peach to invite us then, but the visit was really just a tease, because after six hours of laughing and shopping and margaritas and eating, we had to get in the car and come home. So, this Sunday morning, we might just be kidnapping them and making them stay here forever. Especially this one:

This child doesn't have a shy bone in his body. When I pulled out the camera at lunch, he started running through the gamut of his facial expressions for me. This is mad face. I know, I die too. My favorite part is how he's trying not to smirk.

Anyway, besides being excited and being at work and being a commuter and being in a Funk, I've also been cooking up a storm lately. I'll save a few things that I feel need their own posts, but here's a rundown of some delicious food coming out of the White Hot kitchen lately:

Vegetarian Pad Thai
- A oldie but goodie around here. Hugh was a vegetarian for five years before we met. That fact has no relevance to this dinner, other than the fact that it is also vegetarian.

Dinner Spanakopitas
- So good. A bit of work to put together, but a fun weekend dinner that will impress even your meat-eating friends.

White Bean Enchiladas - Make them. Love them. Easy and delicious. And meat-free.

Roasted Root Vegetable Soup - Hugh loved this. I made it with vegetable broth and liked it well enough. I think made with chicken broth (as the recipe calls for) it would be dynamite.

Baked Chicken in Creamy Tomato Sauce - Easy and great. Kid-friendly, also. I substituted goat cheese and a splash of half-and-half for the mascarpone.

Tagliarelle with Truffle Butter
- Oh. My. God. This is out of this world insanely delicious. I made this when Nicole was here and ate two-and-a-half bowls of it. Also, it might be the easiest thing I've ever made. Also, I want to be Ina Garten when I grow up. Also, I want to make a million little bowls of deliciousness with this pasta. Also, I got my tagliarelle and my truffle butter at Fresh Market. Also, Fresh Market is danger zone for me. I have two requests for our post-med school life: fresh flowers in the house all the time (which we actually kind of have now because my husband is a spoiler) and being able to do my weekly grocery shopping at Fresh Market. Are you listening, Hugh? Consider your specialty wisely, my love.

I'll leave you with this little teaser photo of a recipe that's on the way:


Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Arugula (on homemade bread) and Tomato Soup. Perfect for everyone in America who is freezing.

With that, I bid you happy weekend, good eating, and stay warm. I hope you get to spend the next 3 days with friends you love so much you want to kidnap them and make them live with you forever!

Post Script: I'm so excited about our weekend company I didn't mention that Hugh's on his way home from a test, which means a study-free weekend! Hip hip hooray!

2 comments:

  1. I may or may not have just licked the computer screen. I want that sandwich. Right now. Like right now right now.

    Have a fun weekend! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just had the white bean enchiladas. Good recipe friend. Send that tomato soup recipe too!

    ReplyDelete