Friday, March 11, 2011

What We're Doing. And Eating.

Hi! I'm back again, for the fourth time this week. I know, I can't believe it either. Are you so excited it's almost the weekend?!

I am. I bet you are predicting that I'm about to tell you about the weather forecast. I just can't help it. Weather.com has a hold on me. Also, 70 degrees and sunny? Well, okay!

Hugh is studying all weekend, but don't feel sad for me. Because...it's time to start this year's garden! This is my second year growing things on my patio, and I have some big plans. The real fun starts when my Mom gets here in April, but I'm doing some prep work this weekend like starting my seeds and organizing my one million pots. So I'll be spending the daylight hours at Home Depot or working in the yard. And, woo hoo daylight savings time.

Also, I hope to be cooking some delicious food. Right now I'm thinking more homemade bread, pizza, mussels and frites, carrot cake muffins, and pork meatball bahn mi. The sky is always the limit on Friday morning.

This is what the White Hot household has been eating lately:

Slow-Cooker White Bean Soup with Andouille and Collards - A new one for us and I have to say, we loved it. My crockpot wasn't big enough to hold the collards (I think mine is smaller than the typical crockpot), so when it came time to add the collards I just dumped everything in a Dutch oven. This was really easy and really good. Real simple, if you will. Ha ha ha.

Vegetarian Moussaka - This was good. But I don't think it was good enough to justify all the prep time. Also, apparently eggplant country experienced a freeze recently, so I spent $14 on eggplant. Definitely not $14 worth of eggplant good. Although, I'm not sure what is.

Barbecue Chicken Sliders - Loved that these were easy. And tasty. And healthy. This was a great make-at-home bbq sauce. We served these with coleslaw and roasted sweet potato fries.

Bagel Melts - Always a crowd-pleaser. My parents approved.

Chicken Tamale Casserole - Another new recipe for the White Hot family. This one is a keeper. To up the nutritional value I added a can of black beans, along with a chopped and sauteed green bell pepper and yellow onion, plus three cloves of minced garlic. Also, I think you could add two cans of beans and leave the chicken out all together for a veg version.

Greek Nachos - I've already told you how delicious these are. If you aren't already making them, I am seriously questioning your judgment. Heed my advice: Make them now.

Feta Sauce - I'm not going to lie, last night Hugh had a dinner meeting and, despite my plans to cook dinner anyway, 6pm found me standing in the kitchen dipping toasted pita into the leftover Greek Nacho sauce. I may or may not have eaten three pitas. Woopsie.

Now I'm off to the gym again. For the second time in the last forty-eight hours. Clearly their guilt trip is working.

Cheers to happy eating and lots of Spring-time weather. See you Monday, friends.


Post script: I don't want to leave you without a photo, because that would be the third time in a row. I bet you are probably getting sad you haven't seen my dog child lately. Well, twist my arm why don't you? It's hard being the world's most spoiled canine, Exhibit A:


And, just to brag a little bit, our big fat Fletcher weight 50.3lbs as of yesterday afternoon! Which means he has gained back more than ten of the seventeen pounds he lost. Grow Fletcher, grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment