Monday, May 9, 2011

Weekend. And Mom.

Lots going on here at the White Hot house. I was away for the weekend visiting one of my most favorite people, ever. And yesterday afternoon I came home to a clean house (that Hugh, I swear...), three boys who were very happy to see me, and an afternoon of playing in the yard intermingled with a little margarita drinking. And today I woke up to lots of work and laundry to catch up on.

In other news, today marked the first day of Hugh's study prep for the first step of his Board exam, which he'll take at the end of June. This is one of the most important, and difficult, steps in the med school process. It means six days a week, ten to twelve hours a day of nonstop studying for the next seven weeks.

I could say I'm pouty that he'll be so busy, but I'm mostly just proud he works so hard for our little family. From the outside looking in, you just cannot grasp what goes into these four years. I feel very privileged to be the person who gets to be by his side on this med school journey. Lucky, lucky me.

Speaking of lucky, I missed Mother's day on this little blog yesterday, but I want to acknowledge the loveliness that is my Mom. Even though I'm a day late, I don't think she'll mind. After all, she expects, if not understands, my procrastination after twenty-seven years.



To be her daughter is to have felt unconditionally loved every single day of my life. She is wise and nuturing and supportive and very funny. She is completely invested in this little life that Hugh and I are building together - she is our number one fan.

My mom was a single parent when I was growing up. This meant she had to do all the hard parts of parenting; there simply wasn't anyone else to step in for relief. But, it also meant she got to do all the fun parts of parenting. And it means that, when I look back on my childhood for lessons learned, they come from her. Here are a few favorites:

It was my mom who taught me how to ride a bike. She got to be the one letting go of the seat, running behind me, yelling, go go go! A metaphor for motherhood if there ever was one.

It was my mom who taught me that all you really have is your word, so you always tell the truth and do what you say you will, even when it's hard.

It was my mom who taught me to flour a cake pan and make the perfect cornbread. My earliest cooking memories are, of course, with her. She's the reason I feel so at home in the kitchen today.

It was my mom who taught me that things always seem better in the morning and nothing clears your head like a hot shower.

It was my mom who taught me how to dive off the side off the pool and do an underwater handstand. In life, I think there are two kinds of moms - the kind who sits on the edge of the pool and watches her kids, and the kind who jumps right in with them and gets her hair wet. I'm grateful mine was the latter.

It was my mom who taught me that whatever you are doing, you do the best you can. So even if you fail, you can always know you gave it everything you had.

It was my mom who taught me that there is no reason too small for a celebration - every single birthday, cute haircuts, promotions, first days, last days - my life is filled with memories of balloons and happy dinners and sweet notes.

It was my mom who taught me that life doesn't always go the way you planned, but not to worry, that everything works out just fine in the end. We're still working on this skill...it's apparently one of those life lessons I haven't quite mastered.

So, a belated happy Mother's day to the mother who is so irreplaceable that I imagine no matter how old I get, I will always need her for something.

You made it look easy, Momma, and I can only hope, one day, my own children will feel half as lucky to have me as I do to have you. I am so glad I am your daughter.

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. You made me cry! Beautiful post. Beautiful mother. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love that picture (and your sweet mom)!!

    ReplyDelete