Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Blogger Formerly Known as Craft Impaired.

So, I've mentioned before that I was in a sorority in undergrad. Say what you want about sorority girls and the coinciding stereotypes, but I will tell you this - the friends I made during those 4 years are some of the very best I have. And those were some of the most fun years of my life.

Plus, if you go to a massive public university with 45,000 of your nearest and dearest, it pays to join an organization that makes the place feel a little more like home.

I will also tell you that sorority girls do a lot of crafts. Like a lot. Projects for your big sister, projects for your little sister, outfits for parties, banners for events - there is a lot of painting and hot gluing and fabric-covering and glittering that occurs under those roofs.

So, you either start out crafty, or you learn quickly. Which brings me to the point of this post, a little confession: I was totally the latter, convinced I was born without a crafty bone in my body.

But you'd never know it now. Just look what I whipped up for our front door a few weeks ago:






I emailed my mom a photo of my wreath project, and this was her response:


"Wow! This is beautiful! It makes me think of when you used to have to do all those crafts at Chi O, and I thought it was hilarious because you were so craft-impaired. Just look at you now!"


Oh, Mom. She knows the truth.

Love,
Your Favorite White Hot Crafter


Post Script: I used this tutorial for the ruffles, and went off on my own for the embellishments. A little JoAnn's faux flower and some miniature pine cones, and that sucker was screaming Fall from our front door. Happy crafting, frinternets.

No comments:

Post a Comment